This year marks the first ever, and first annual, Expanding Your Horizons in Hawaii. Expanding Your Horizons - Hawaii will take place on April 26th, 2014
at the University of Hawaii at Manoa from 8:45-3:30 pm
. Girls 5-9th grade are invited to participate. The event is FREE and girls will have the choice of three hands-on workshops
in different disciplines. This year we have workshops on Botany, Meteorology, Ocean Science, Marine Biology, Astronomy, Architecture, Chemistry, Math and More!
Get ready for an exciting new event for young women interested in science, technology, engineering, and math! Expanding Your Horizons in Science and Mathematics (EYH) are conferences created to promote and foster interest for young women in the areas of science and math. The conferences are held with the hopes that young women who attend will be encouraged to consider careers in these disciplines. The first EYH conference occurred in 1976 at Mills College in Oakland California. Since that first event hundreds of thousands of young women and thousands of parents have participated in EYH events. The goals of the conference include:
1) To provide young women with opportunities to meet and interact with positive women role models who are active in math and science related careers;
2) To involve young women with limited opportunities for success in positive experiences in mathematics and science;
3) To increase the interest of young women in math and science by providing exciting and fun hands-on learning experiences;
4) To encourage young women to study as much math and science as possible by showing them the benefits of eduction and its relevance to their lives;
5) To foster awareness of career opportunities in science and math related careers.
For more information contact the Chair and Organizer Dr. Jennifer Griswold via email (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or by phone 808-956-3636